Sweet potatoes is a root vegetable that looks like a potato but in actual it is not related to potatoes as it is sweet in taste and creamy in texture. Columbus brought them over from the island of Saint. American used to call it -yams- but then it came to know that it belongs to a different family called Convolvulaceae . It is not only easy to prepare but it is very nutrient vegetable. Here is per serving calories and nutrition:
Health benefits of sweet potatoes
1. Sweet potatoes are rich with Vitamin D which is important for good health, growth and strong bones. These days a lack of vitamin D is very common. Vitamin D is mostly made in the skin by exposure to sunlight. Most foods contain very little vitamin D naturally, though some are fortified with added vitamin D as sweet potatoes. A mild lack of vitamin D may not cause symptoms but can cause general aches and pains. Vitamin D plays an important role in our energy levels, moods, and helps to build healthy bones, heart, nerves, skin, and teeth, and it supports the thyroid gland.
2. Sweet potatoes contain iron. Now a day it is one of the most common of the nutritional deficiencies. Iron is present in all cells in the human body, and has several vital functions including proper immune functioning, red and white blood cell production, resistance to stress, and the metabolizing of protein, without iron body feels dizzy, numbed, lazy, and It becomes unable to do perform daily routine tasks.
3. Sweet potatoes are rich of magnesium; a lack of this important nutrient may be a major factor in many common health problems such as, migraines, mitral valve prolapse, attention deficit disorder, asthma, fibromyalgia, and allergies have all been linked to a Mg deficiency. It is necessary for healthy bone, heart, muscle, and nerve function.
4. They are a source of potassium; that is involved in nerve function, muscle control and blood pressure.
5. Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin C. It is essential for collagen formation and helps to maintain the integrity of connective tissue, bone and dentine. Vitamin C may also include protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skin wrinkling.
6. They are high in vitamin B6. It reduces stress, Increase energy and manages symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome.
Sweet potatoes have traditionally been baked, roasted or mashed, but they can also be added to risotto, pasta or curry. So for a healthy body you should include it in your daily diet routine.